Saturday 16 January 2016

Pork Sausagemeat, Apple and Onion Pie

Warning, if you are of a nervous disposition or don't like pictures of raw meat then perhaps this post is not for you.

My mother used to make this pie with her own pastry and Sausagemeat which she got locally when we lived in Kent.

Now I'm here in Devon I get mine from Evergreen Farm at Totnes Good Food Market,



  I bought this one before Christmas and put it in the freezer.

I'm typing this on Friday and while it defrosts for Saturday I fried Onions and stewed some Bramley Apples. These I mixed together and will add to the meat when everything is at the same temperature.



Once again no prizes for beauty in the picture, .

I'm cheating and using ready made puff pastry, (life's too short to make it)

So Friday evening I mixed the sausage meat and the onion/apple together, again its not a pretty picture but bear with me on this, it will all turn out alright.




Saturday morning is now just assembly and cooking.

I greased a pie dish and lined it with the pastry,



filled it with the mixture,




and made a rather pathetic lattice with the remainder. (Spot the mistake)



Just an egg wash now and it can be cooked.

I baked it at 180°C in a fan oven for 40 minutes,





and it was perfect, it tasted fantastic, we had half tonight and will finish it off cold with salad on Monday.

There was a little pastry left so I made a pasty with some of the Mince Pie fruit I had left over from Xmas. Again the crimp let me down but it couldn't hide the taste.




Steak tomorrow, it doesn't get better than this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment