Sunday 16 August 2015

Sunday round up

A couple of foodie things today, reminders really so if you've heard it all before I'm sorry to be repeating myself.

Firstly, what do you do with your potato peelings? Did you know that the skin and the bit just underneath have the biggest concentration of vitamins and good stuff.

I peel my potatoes a bit thicker than usual. The peel is tossed in Olive Oil and baked for around 25 minutes, usually in the oven whilst it's heating up for whatever else I'm doing.




And there you have ready made oven chips, or skins for loading with bacon and melted cheese. Just let them cool and freeze. They reheat in 15 minutes.

Next up, as you might have seen I made onion rings earlier in the week. This left me with the small pieces of onion from the middle. So I made easy caramelised onion relish with them, chopping the onion into small bits and frying for about 10 minutes. I then added brown sugar and vinegar,



 and reduced it until it was a sticky sauce.



 Delicious with sausages.
 I also dried some bananas in my dehydrator, cut into slices and dipped in lemon juice first.




They took a while but were very sweet and won't last .



I'm still getting the hang of the dehydrator, there were no instructions with it (well there was a sheet of paper translated into English that didn't really help much) so I'm relying on the internet.

In other news, I had my photo taken yesterday for my book cover, I thought it would be easy, just like holiday snaps but there was a lot more to it than that. The first attempts were horrible because I seemed determined to pull stupid faces, it took me a while to relax and by the end I was actually starting to enjoy myself. Tim the photographer did an excellent job and will be sorting through the pictures today. So I hope to put the best ones up here soon.

Meanwhile I have found that trying to write the 150 words that go on a back cover is in many ways as hard as writing the 70,000 that tell the story. How do you entice the prospective reader in without giving too much away? I have had several attempts so far and I'm not really happy with either of them. I have been reading the backs of books to try and see how others have done it, it seems so logical until you try to apply it to your own work.

We're off to Totnes Good Food Sunday in a moment to see a few friends, have a coffee and cake and stock up on good local produce. As its not raining we will have a picnic by 
the Castle and a walk around the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment