Saturday 7 June 2014

Potato Bread

Normally, I would post this on my bread blog, but it seems that more people are reading this one now so I will post it on both, sounds extravagant but at least its efficient.

My sourdough experiment is progressing to the extent that I now have three starters, (Spelt, Rye and Wholemeal) and consequently that generates a lot of spare starter. Refreshing once a week means I have a good kilo of the stuff that would otherwise go to the food bin, which is clearly unacceptable.

I try to use it all up as I hate waste, but am getting to the point where I need a few volunteers to help me consume it. Meanwhile the recipes keep on coming, today its Potato Bread, but maybe not as you might think.
I'm not using Potato flour, or left over Mashed Potato, (That's an idea for later) but instead chunks of oven roasted tuber as a sprinkle in the dough.

So I chopped and roasted (in Olive Oil) about 125g of potato for 15 minutes and left it to cool. It doesn't need to fully cook, as it will bake in the bread, but just to get a colour and a soft edge.



meanwhile I refreshed my starter and left it to itself for 8 hours.

After that time it was raring to go,


I made the no-knead dough that I always do, adding the chunks of potato and mixing.

 
 

It bulk proved for 2 hours and I put it in the fridge overnight.

Next morning, I took it out at 5 and let it warm up a bit,



Then a couple of folds and it was ready to shape,



I left it to rise in the banneton for three hours, while heating the oven to maximum, with a Cast-Iron casserole and my steel sheet in.

I was going to cook one covered and one open, I wanted to see if they would come out radically different.

After they had stood for the three hours, in they went,





a bit of boiling water in the tray bottom left for steam and 30 minutes at 230 degrees.


After that time, I removed the steam tray, took the lid off the casserole and turned the temperature down to 200. As expected the loaf on the sheet was darker than the one in the pot,



but that should even out, both had risen roughly the same.

We're aiming for an internal temperature of around 93 degrees C (The gluten will be solidified at this temperature) and a thick crust. About 15 minutes is a guide but you need to keep an eye.

And here they are,



 
not much sign of potato, I'll have to be patient and let them cool a bit before I cut them.

Half an hour later,



Hmmm, not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment