Tuesday 18 March 2014

Bacon Hocks

I got these at a farm shop for £2.99, which I thought was pretty good.



It's my plan to slow cook them in Apple Juice and a few veg, until they fall apart, then pull the meat, I've got a few uses lined up for it.

First up, the preparation, I used my Cast Iron Casserole and chopped onion and carrot, adding them to the meat and the juice.



Next the slow cooking, about 160 degrees and 4 hours, checking hourly and basting.

When done, strip the meat off the bones, tip most of the liquid off and stir in a bit of honey, return to the oven for 30 minutes.


And this is what you are left with,


Today it's served with Roast Potatoes, Roast Parsnip,




Mixed Veg and Gravy. (Made from the cooking juice and cornflour) and there's enough left for a Chinese style fried rice dish and a few sandwiches. Not bad for £3

No comments:

Post a Comment