Friday 20 December 2013

Cut Off! And Saffron Buns.

A bit of a shock on Thursday, it had been a bit windy on Wednesday night, but when I took the dogs down to the beach on Thursday afternoon, I was greeted with this sight,


I could get around it by cutting through the hedge, but obviously no cars were going to get through.


Looking back this was the other side.

It was quieter down the beach, only the local dogs made it. The sea was rough and there was rain in the wind, but that made plenty of surf to chase and bark at. (The dogs, not me,  not this time?)

On Wednesday, I had started making the Saffron Buns to take to Amy, I scalded 350ml of milk, adding a good pinch of Saffron and left it to soak overnight.



Thursday pm,  he milk looked a good colour, I added 20g honey and 25g butter and warmed it slightly, not too much or the yeast will die.


Next the dry ingredients, 250g each of Plain and Strong White flours, 10g each of yeast and salt and finally 300g mixed raisins, sultanas and cranberries.


Knead it all together for around 10 minutes, till you get a good dough.


After an hour and a half, it had doubled in size,


so I scaled it at 120g and made my buns.I put the oven on to 200 degrees.


An hour later the buns had proved so in they went, after a milk wash.


20 Minutes later, the moment of truth.


I hope Amy likes them.

Its Solstice today, so I wish you all the blessings of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment