Sunday 20 October 2013

Round Up

I thought that I would put this here, as more people read this than my bread blog, the link is on the page but it's www.brixhambread.blogspot.co.uk

About a week ago, the South Devon Tourism and Hospitality Awards 2013 were announced,



 

 and one of the Cafes that I bake bread for, Millie and Me in Brixham, http://millieandme.co.uk  were up for an award in the ‘Taste of the Riviera’ Cafe / Tea Room category.

Hopes were high, and I was at work, but by the time I came home I found that they had won a SILVER award, and I like to think that I played a small part in their success.

Of course it's wonderful, and richly deserved as the place has fantastic coffee and amazing cakes, such as the Banoffee Cheesecake, as well as the Cream Teas and savoury snacks.
Yvonne and I go in there for coffee when we are in town, and find it hard to resist the wealth of good food on offer. So we often don't!

Meanwhile, Totnes Good Food has come around again, that means Evergreen Farms amazing Steak for Supper tonight, and sausages and Scotch Eggs for the freezer. Also a piece of Caramel Shortbread from Red Earth Kitchens, and whatever else takes our fancy.

Devon is really a foodies paradise, and I now find that I buy over 90% of my food locally, it may cost a little more but you don't need to be told what meat you're eating.

We had Roast Chicken  yesterday, and it tasted like Chicken used to a long time ago,

Chicken, Home made Stuffing and Roast Potatoes and Parsnips, ready for the oven.
I also braised some shallots in Chicken Stock, before roasting them for ten minutes, and they complemented the steamed Carrots and Cauliflower. Gravy was made from the Chicken stock, and the potato water (which as usual had vegetable stock powder added)

We had the first taste of this years Elderflower wine, which has matured nicely, dry and crisp and almost free.

It was raining at 6 this morning when I took the dogs round, and quite windy, but by 7.30 had cleared up a little, not that it would have stopped us going. If it's dry, we can have our lunch in a little park by the Castle.

I must give a plug to my daughters home in Australia,

http://www.barklyhomestead.com.au

a pretty amazing place. Georgina will be back to see us all in the New Year and we can't wait.

Well that was a success, we went round the market, got some amazing food, had lunch by the castle and it started raining as we walked back to the car.

We have some beautiful Rump Steak for tonight, some Scotch Eggs, Sausages and various other bits of food. And we had a Pork and Apricot Sausage Roll and a piece of Millionaires Shortbread for lunch. Thanks Linda.

And here's the steak, first marinating in a little Balsamic,

 
and then frying with crushed garlic.


 It's probably the best Steak that either of us has ever tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment